Homemade Crockpot Bone BrothDec 03, 2020
Have you ever made your own bone broth in a crock pot? It is truly something special.
Bone broth contains so many minerals in forms that your body can easily absorb, and because of this it is one of the very best things you can do for your digestive system, immune system, and overall health.
HACK: BONE BROTH IS OUR SECRET TO AVOID INDULGING IN PMS & PERIOD CRAVINGS...
It's so jam-packed with goodness that it may help replenish nutrient deficiencies that could be causing the cravings in the first place!
It also has a ton of protein per serving, so it's very satiating.... helping you avoid being BFFLs with the Pillsbury Doughboy while you're PMSing (he cute tho).
AND you'll find it especially healing and restorative during your period, a pretty intense time for your body as it sheds a lining it spent weeks creating.
It's sorta like "chicken soup heals the soul", but throw out all the noodles.
So how the hec do you go about making it?
The trick is to save your leftover bones from meals with chicken or turkey and freeze them in a giant freezer bag. After a couple of weeks, you should have enough to make yourself a batch.
- 2-3 lbs chicken or turkey bones (I usually just put in whatever fills up a gallon freezer bag!)
- 3 carrots roughly chopped
- 3 celery stalks roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 onion, roughly chopped
- 2 bay leaves (I bought a dried jar of bay leaves so i always have them on hand!)
- filtered water
- salt & pepper
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- Place everything in a crock pot. Fill the remaining space with filtered water. Make sure you don't overfill to avoid spillage.
- Slow cook for 18-24 hours. The longer the better.
- Strain the pot and keep remaining broth.
- Store in the fridge for up to a week, or freeze to preserve!
Join our 2021 Power of Periodization WAITLIST
Inside of Power of Periodization, we periodize our workouts and eating habits to align with our hormonal patterns and the 4 distinct phases of our menstrual cycle.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.